04 March 2011

What's An Amma To Do?!?!

So, I am driving down the road a few blocks from home, two kids and three pizzas in the car and two other adults waiting for dinner at home, when on the side of the road I see a person in the ditch. Is it Ronnie or Forrest? I don't know. I stop and back up the car, put on the hazard lights and get out to check on him. I know him, but not his name; I know it now--it's Jerry. And Jerry is very drunk! What's an Amma to do? I don't know, but this is what I did...

I helped Jerry stand up, swaying, but standing none the less. His baby blue bedroll sits beside the ditch, his radio down in it. Before he falls down I get him to sit down by the bedroll. He repeats himself over and over again: "I'm sorry" "I can't get up" "I can't walk" "I'm sorry I'm drunk" "I need help". He wants to stand up again, so again I help him. What's an Amma to do? I don't know, but this is what I did...

I told Jerry my kids were in the car and I had to take them home before I could help him further. I asked where he "camped" and he couldn't exactly tell me. (Hmmm, when I come back where am I going to take him?) He kept repeating himself still... "I need help" "I need a ride" "I'm sorry" I told him again I would be back. He sat down next to the bedroll. He looked sad. I felt bad. What's an Amma to do? I don't know, but this is what I did...

I got back in the car. Thing One and Thing Two had lots of questions and lots to say: "What are you going to do" "What is wrong with him" "You have to come back and help him" "You are coming back, right" "He can't stay in the ditch... its raining". Back home we unload, go inside, and sit down for pizza. Thing One fills Hokie Fan and Nonny in on all the gory details... What's an Amma to do? I don't know, but this is what I did...

After dinner I called a fellow Jesus Freak (Mrs. T) to see if she knew where Jerry's camp is. "He is passing through," she tells me, but suggests John (one of the "bench boys") may know where he stays. So I call John; no minutes on his phone, so no John. I tell Hokie Fan I am going to see if Jerry is still in the ditch and then ask one of the "bench boys" to help get him to a different place--where, I don't know. Hokie Fan does not like the idea, but doesn't have a better one. He makes me promise to call him in 15 minutes. What's an Amma to do? I don't know, but this is what I did...

I got in the car and went to find Jerry. He was gone. I drive a few blocks knowing he couldn't have walked anywhere. I am sad. Is Jerry in jail? My hunch is yes. When there is no place for our homeless neighbors they drink themselves silly and end up in the Sheriff's Shelter, the most expensive "shelter" in town. How sad is that! What is an Amma to do!?!?

No comments: